The first residential institution operated by the Benevolent Society was the Benevolent Asylum, opened in 1821 by Governor Lachlan Macquarie, in Devonshire Street.
The Benevolent Asylum was located on the corner of Pitt and Devonshire Streets, Sydney on a site now occupied by Central Railway Station. The New South Wales Government resumed the site in 1901 when it began building the station. With the compensation the Society received it bought 'Flinton' in Paddington, then developed the Thomas Street Asylum in Ultimo.
When the Benevolent Society's adoption agency closed in the 1970s, adoption records were transferred to the predecessor of the Department of Family and Community Services.
The Benevolent Asylum records from 1857-1900 have been indexed and the index is available online. Please see the list of published resources to access this website.
01 July 2014
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00313
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License