The Deaconesses operated schools at Balmain, Lewisham, Bega and Echuca (1901-1911) and ran a depot for recycled clothing. They also established the first Anglican Christian hospitals, which were known as the Homes of Peace/Hope Healthcare (1907-2008). Starting with a hospice called 'Eversleigh', the Deaconesses took over Neringah and Greenwich Hospitals in the 1950s and 1960s and added Graythwaite Nursing Home in 1980. In 1994 these Homes of Peace were incorporated and renamed Hope Healthcare, adding Braeside Hospital and the Northern Beaches Palliative Care Service. They were acquired by Hammond Care in June 2008.
The Deaconesses operated Hilsyde Lodge (1978-2003) at Camden, a retreat for Christian women workers. It continues to train young women in Christian ministry through Mary Andrews College (formerly known as Deaconess House) at St Andrews House and at Moore Theological College and operates The Next Phase Ministries Committee, which trains and ministers to seniors and the aged.
18 May 2014
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01037
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License