The house, originally called Hurlton, was located on the banks of the Brisbane River at Chelmer. It was built for John Sutton, proprietor of an ironworks and shipbuilding business at kangaroo Point. When the Suttons moved out, the building was rented out to the Church of England Grammar School for use as a boarding facility.
Following the death of John Sutton in the early 1900s, Mrs Sutton moved back into Hurlton where she remained until her death in 1928.
W R Black, mine-owner and philanthropist, made many bequests to the Presbyterian Church throughout his life. Black purchased Hurton following the death of Mrs Sutton and gave it to the Presbyterian Church. The Presbyterian Home for Children opened on 24 November 1928. It closed on 31 July 1965.
The home was licensed as a private institution under The State Children Act on 21 March 1929. The Home was licensed under The lnfant Life Protection Act on 27 September 1938.
Commission of inquiry into abuse of children in Queensland institutions
In August 1998 in Queensland, the Minister for Families, Youth and Community Care established a Commission of Inquiry to examine whether there had been any abuse, mistreatment or neglect of children in Queensland institutions.
This Inquiry is widely known as the Forde Inquiry, in reference to the Chairperson, Leneen Forde. The Committee reported on incidents of unsafe, improper and illegal treatment of children in Queensland institutions, including cases of sexual, physical, emotional and systems abuse. It is known as The Report of the Commission of Inquiry into Abuse of Children in Queensland Institutions.
Submissions from former residents of W. R. Black Home were taken at the inquiry. The full report is a public document, available free of charge to anyone who requests it from the Queensland Government. Its findings are detailed and explicit.
There is an archival collection held by the Presbyterian Church of Queensland, containing some records relating to Presbyterian Children's Homes, including minutes of committees.
For information about these records write to Reverend Ron Clark, Presbyterian Church of Queensland:
PO Box 1508, Fortitude Valley QLD 4006
Some records relating to the W.R. Black Home are held in the Fryer Library at the University of Queensland. These records include: Applications for Admission: 1924 to 1936 and 1948 to 1949, and a Register: c.1937 to 1949.
For information about these records contact the Fryer Library, University of Queensland:
University of Queensland, St Lucia QLD 4072
Phone: (07) 3365 6236
25 November 2013
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/ref/QE00057
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Creative Commons Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Attribution - NonCommercial - ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License