The Mapoon Presbyterian Mission, situated on the traditional lands of the Tjungundji people, was established in 1891. Originally established under the name Batavia River Mission, by Moravian missionaries on behalf of the Presbyterian Church of Australia, it soon became known as Mapoon or Marpuna Mission.
At a conference of church and government officials held at Mapoon in April 1954 a policy decision was made to close Mapoon. The Government commenced building a replacement community at Hidden Valley near Bamaga in 1961 and by mid-1962 nearly 100 people had moved to the community which became known as New Mapoon. On 14 November 1963, the Officer-in-Charge of Police at Thursday Island received official instructions from the Director of Native Affairs, Pat Killoran, to remove the remaining twenty-three Aboriginal residents from Mapoon to Bamaga. All but two buildings were then burned to prevent the residents returning to the mission.
According to the Missing Pieces publication (2001), no records in relation to this Industrial School have been located.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs Records are the documents created by government departments and other organisations in the course of their involvement with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Queensland over time. The records contain a wealth of information about individuals, families, communities and places. This information exists because of the control past Queensland governments had over Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's lives.
For more information about tracing your family history contact:
Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Multicultural Affairs
Community and Personal Histories Team
Reconciliation and Reconnections
Level 6 75 William Street
Brisbane, Qld 4001
Phone: 1800 650 230 (toll-free within Australia)
(07) 3404 8375
Fax: (07) 3239 3464
There is an archival collection held by the Presbyterian Church of Queensland, containing some records relating to Presbyterian Children's Homes, including minutes of committees.
For information about these records write to
the Presbyterian Church of Queensland Archives.
35 Amelia Street
Fortitude Valley Q 4006
Phone: 07 3251 4100
10 June 2014
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00093
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License