The Aboriginal Women's Home opened in Sussex Street, North Adelaide in 1926. The property, which was previously the old City Mission Hall, was owned by the Adelaide Central Mission. The Mission proposed that the building be used as a boarding house for Aboriginal women and children, particularly those from country areas, coming to the city for medical treatment.
The Adelaide Central Mission and the Aborigines Department worked together to refurnish the old Mission Hall and the new Home opened on 29 June 1926. The government subsidised the running of the Home, covering the cost of board and lodging while members of the Adelaide Central Mission took responsibility for food preparation and general management. The Aborigines Friends Association was also involved, with a representative on the Advisory Board of the Home.
Most of the women who came to the home were from the Far North and West. However, the Home also provided shelter for local Aboriginal people in emergency situations. A full-time matron was employed as well as other domestic staff.
The home was still operating in the early 1970s when it came under the control of the Department for Community Welfare. At that time the Department reported that up to 22 women and children and seven babies could stay in the home at one time.
The Aboriginal Women's Home closed in 1975 and its functions were taken over by the Klemzig Family Home. By 1981 the former Women's Home building had been leased to the Aboriginal Lands Trust.
09 December 2014
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE00148
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License