In 1962 the Fairbridge Society, which had been operating farms and institutions for migrant children in other states for decades, opened its last institution at a property on Fairview Road, Crafers, formerly known as 'Craig-ard'. It was renamed Drapers' Hall in recognition of the Drapers' Company of London who funded the Society's purchase of the property. The oldest portion of the building dated from 1874, and consisted of six rooms. An additional nine rooms had been added by later owners.
Drapers' Hall catered solely for children who came to Australia as part of Fairbridge's Family Migration scheme. As these children were accompanied by one or more parent on the journey from England they are often not considered part of the history of Child Migration. However, these children were separated from their parents immediately upon arrival and spent months or sometimes years in the Drapers' Hall institution before being reunited with their parents.
The Hall accommodated up to 20 children at a time and over the course of its existence housed more than 200 children. Children were generally between the ages of 6 and 16, however, the 1971 Fairbridge Society Annual Report lists the youngest child to 'join them' that year was a boy of only 4 years of age.
Primary aged children attended Crafers Primary School and secondary children went to Heathfield High School . The Hall provided accommodation for eligible children for as long as required. In the late 1960s and 1970s admission was arranged directly through the Warden of the Hall or through the South Australian Secretary of the Fairbridge Society.
Drapers' Hall closed in 1981 and became a respite care facility, known as the Crafers Community Unit, run by the Strathmont Centre for people with an intellectual disability. In the late 1980s the building was sold and became a private home.
The Fairbridge Society in Britain held personal and institutional records that may be of interest to people who were placed in Drapers Hall in South Australia. These records are now managed by The Prince's Trust, a British charitable organisation that merged with Fairbridge in 2011. A finding aid titled 'Information Sheet 14 [Fairbridge Archive, UK]' has been developed to describe the items that are included in the collection.
Address: 18 Park Square East, London NW1 4LH
Phone: 0011 44 20 7543 1234
Fax: 0014 44 20 7543 1200
Web and map: http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/site_pages/contact_us.aspx
22 July 2014
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE00150
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License