Wiltja Hostel for Aboriginal girls was opened in November 1956 at 17 East Avenue Millswood by the Aborigines Advancement League. Sometimes referred to as the Millswood Girls' Home the Hostel's purpose was to provide accommodation for girls who were attending secondary school in Adelaide. Many girls remained at the Hostel during their first year of work after leaving school.
In 1978 the Hostel ceased to operate as a Hostel for Aboriginal girls and became a boarding home for adult Aboriginal people visiting the city. In 1980 the Aborigines Advancement League leased the property to the Education Department and two years later that department purchased the Hostel.
17 November 2015
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE00178
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License