The Church of England Diocesan Mission House opened at 13 Wellington Square, North Adelaide in February 1945. The property had been purchased in November of the previous year. The Sisters of the Community of the Holy Name ran the Mission House as a short term refuge and hostel for women and children. The Sisters aimed to work in close cooperation with the government Welfare Department in order to care for girls on remand or probation as well as children from families 'in distress'. As the Mission House only provided short-term care for children, the Sisters assisted in placing children into longer-term care arrangements.
In 1949 the Mission House changed its name to the Hostel of the Holy Name.
04 December 2015
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE00344
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License