The Cascades House of Correction was on the site of the Cascades Female Factory. Its main purpose was to accommodate women who had received their sentences in Tasmania. During the 1860s, it became less of a gaol and more of an invalid depot for aging and destitute former convicts.
In 1870, a Mercury article referred to a children's refuge at the site of the Cascades House of Correction. It accommodated children whose parents had deserted them or were prisoners. This appears to be the same establishment that the English social reformers and advocates of the boarding-out system, Florence and Rosamund Hill, saw when they visited the site in 1874. In their book What we saw in Australia, they wrote that about 18 children, 'all very little', lived there in a separate section to the prisoners. One of the prisoners looked after the children. They attended school on the site.
28 October 2013
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/tas/TE00247
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Creative Commons Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Attribution - NonCommercial - ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License