From 1915 to 1921, Wattle Day was run by the Commonwealth Button Fund. When the Fund was wound up in January 1921, the event became the business of the Children's Welfare Association.
In 1924, the Victorian Year Book described the annual Wattle Day event thus: 'ladies attired in white costumes sell sprigs of wattle blossom in the streets and elsewhere, and the amounts obtained are allotted to charities for children'. Wattle Day workers also sold buttons, and put on displays and demonstrations of the work of various institutions.
For example, on 24 August 1933, the Argus reported that supporters of the Mission of St James and St John's Babies' Home would hold a Wattle Day stall at the GPO in Bourke Street where cakes, jams and produce would be on sale, and gifts from the public would be accepted.
From 1958, Wattle Day was held in the annual Child Care Week.
19 June 2014
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000376
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License