Under Sister Agatha, who ran St Vincent de Paul's Girls' Orphanage from 1957, the Orphanage's holiday home at Black Rock (which had been built in 1939) was converted into a type of family group home called 'Coolock', where a small group of children lived with two lay women. Sister Agatha wrote of the success of this experiment:
'The difference in the children after even a few months is something that must be seen to be believed. The individual development of the child is the thing that is most prominent and the ability to cope with problems that cannot be faced under our present system.'
Sister Agatha oversaw the purchase of several more properties in the south-eastern suburbs, and the gradual transfer of children from the orphanage into these family group homes.
In 1966, the Children's Home relocated from South Melbourne to Black Rock. By the end of 1966, the buildings at the former Girls' Orphanage in South Melbourne had been emptied of children and Sisters, with the residents now living in family group homes scattered throughout the south-eastern suburbs.
The new administration centre of St Vincent de Paul's Children's Home was based at Black Rock. By the late 1960s St Vincent de Paul Children's Home had transferred its centre of operations to 'Coolock'.
21 March 2016
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000382
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License