St Paul's Discovery Centre opened in January 1979 as a holiday camp for children in 'need', 'troubled', or 'disadvantaged'.
The Discovery Centre was situated of the seafront at Newhaven, Phillip Island in the former buildings of the St Paul's Boys' Home which had closed in 1973.
After consultation with environmentalists, youth leaders, teachers and social workers the 'Discovery Centre' concept was developed by the Reverend Ian Paxton who was Social Welfare Administrator for the Mission of St James and St James.
The new Discovery centre aimed to "expand the child's approaches to discovery, so deriving alternate ways of seeing the environment." The program was supported by volunteers who helped to restore and maintain buildings and provide activites for the program.
The collection at Anglicare Victoria dates from 1886. The collection has information relating to women and families including adoption, children and young people in 'care', and work performed by the various institutions and facilities run by the founding agencies - namely, the Mission of St James and St John, the Mission to the Streets and Lanes, and St John's Home for Boys and Girls.
Please contact the Heritage Client Liaison Officer:
Street Address: 103 Hoddle Street, Collingwood VIC 3066
Postal Address: PO Box 45, Abbotsford VIC 3067
Phone: (03) 9412 6133
Fax: (03) 9415 9181
06 August 2014
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000709
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License