According to government reports (Signposts 2004, pp.183-184), Darlington Cottage was a large house, able to accommodate up to 10 boys at one time. By 1977, it had become part of the Hillston detention centre and in 1980 was described as a 'half-way house' of Hillston, with boys' progress at school and socially at Darlington being 'closely monitored' and reviewed weekly, according to reports in 1982.
After Hillston closed in 1983, Darlington remained as a government-run Home.
The collection held by the Department for Child Protection and Family Support (DCPFS) dates from 1894. It includes records from the Government Receiving Depot, the State Children's Department, the Child Welfare Department and more recent departments which have been known at different times as the Department for Child Protection, Community Development, Community Welfare, Community Services, and Family and Children's Services. The records relate to children who were placed in all types of out of home 'care' in Western Australia. Some of the records held by the DCPFS were originally created by another government department or private agency.
Contact Freedom of Information, Department for Child Protection and Family Support:
PO Box 6334, East Perth WA 6892
Telephone: (08) 6217 6388 or (08) 6217 6381
Facsimile: (08) 9222 2776
Free call in WA: 1800 000 277
04 July 2014
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE00067
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License