In 1970 the Department of Native Welfare established Kartanup as a hostel for working-age boys in the town of Katanning, in an old property in Andrews Street.
In 1972, Kartanup moved to larger premises which had originally been built in 1929-30 as a Catholic boarding school run by the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions. In 1958-59 the building was converted to a Convent and was the site of the St Rita's Convent School. Kartanup came under the control of the Department for Community Welfare in that year.
Kartanup was home to young males from Indigenous and non-Indigenous backgrounds, from country and metropolitan areas. The emphasis of the hostel was on establishing work and independent living skills. It is likely that many of the boys placed at the hostel were or had been wards of the State, and some may have been referred through the juvenile justice system.
By August 1984, Kartanup's hostel program closed. In 1985, the Kartanup facility was leased to the State Government to use for its Westrek (youth employment) project. In 1987, Kartanup became an annexe of St Andrew's Hostel for children attending school in Katanning.
The building continues to be used in Katanning in 2014, but no longer offers out of home care. It was known as 'Reidy House'.
21 November 2014
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE00115
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License