The Catholic Diocese of Broome has had a presence in the Kimberleys, Western Australia, since 1884. The Diocese covers more than 770,000 square kilometres. It began with missionary work by Father Nicholas Emo, a Trappist, in 1884 and became the Parish of Broome in 1897. During World War One, the parish became a Vicarate and in 1966 it became a Diocese. Throughout these years, the Catholic Diocese of Broome and its earlier parishes, have been involved in out of home care.
Generally, the role of the Diocese (parish or vicarate) has been as the administrator of a Mission or Home, with the day to day running being carried out by a Catholic Religious Order, such as the Trappists, Pallottines or the Sisters of St John of God. In this way, the Catholic Diocese of Broome has an historical relationship to Beagle Bay Mission, Kalumburu, Lombadina, Wirrumanu and the Maria Goretti Home.
14 October 2014
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE00265
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License