1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation State Children's Relief Department (1881 - 1923)
- Adoption Agency, Care Provider, Foster Care and Government Department
- Alternative Names
- State Children's Relief Board
The State Children's Relief Department was the public service body responsible for implementing the recommendations of the State Children's Relief Board. It was part of the Chief Secretary's Department, under the control of the Premier.
The State Children's Relief Department supervised all children taken into state care, whether they were boarded out (fostered), apprenticed, informally 'adopted' or placed in institutional care. It also supervised boarding out payments to destitute mothers. The key personnel were the boarding out officers and inspectors and, after Children's Courts were introduced, probation officers. The Department also relied on local networks of lady visitors and priests to supervise children.
The titles 'State Children's Relief Board' and 'State Children's Relief Department' mean the same thing and both may appear in the records. Generally, the word Department refers to the staff (the public servants), while the word Board describes the people who made the decisions about the running of this agency. In Find and Connect, we use the term 'State Children's Relief Board' to cover all the functions of this agency. Please refer to that entry for further information.
1881 - 1923 State Children's Relief Department
1923 - 1970 Child Welfare Department
1970 - 1973 Department of Child Welfare and Social Welfare
1973 - 1975 Department of Youth and Community Services [I]
1975 - 1976 Department of Youth, Ethnic and Community Affairs
1976 - 1988 Department of Youth and Community Services [II]
1988 - 1991 Department of Family and Community Services (I)
1991 - 1992 Department of Health and Community Services
1992 - 2009 Department of Community Services
2009 - 2011 Department of Human Services
2011 - Community Services (II)
Records Managed by
Provided 'care' at
- Lark, Susan, Index to children in the care of the State Children's Relief Department as of 05 April, 1883, Australian Geneaological Education Centre, Kiama, 2002. Details
- Dependent children registers, 1883-1923 [microform] / State Children's Relief Board, Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies, Blackburn, 1995. Details
- Parry, Naomi, 'Such a longing': Black and white children in welfare in New South Wales and Tasmania, 1880 to 1920, Department of History, University of New South Wales, 2007, 361 pp, http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/4033481. Details
- Quinn, Peter E, Unenlightened efficiency: the administration of the juvenile correction system in New South Wales 1905-1988, University of Sydney, History, 27 March 2006, http://hdl.handle.net/2123/623. Details
Sources used to compile this entry: Parry, Naomi, 'Such a longing': Black and white children in welfare in New South Wales and Tasmania, 1880 to 1920, Department of History, University of New South Wales, 2007, 361 pp, http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/4033481; Quinn, Peter E, Unenlightened efficiency: the administration of the juvenile correction system in New South Wales 1905-1988, University of Sydney, History, 27 March 2006, http://hdl.handle.net/2123/623.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 22 February 2011, Last modified: 2 August 2012