1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation St Magdalen's Refuge Buckingham Street (1903 - 1936)
- Care Provider and Catholic
- Alternative Names
- Buckingham Street Women's Refuge (also referred to as)
- Mount Magdala (also referred to as)
St Magdalen's Refuge Buckingham Street accommodated females over the age of twelve years. The property was acquired in 1903, and opened by Cardinal Moran on 20 March 1904. The aims of St Magdalen's were to provide women with a place of refuge in the city and eventually restore them to friends or obtain suitable employment for them. After 1933 the Buckingham Street Refuge functioned as an Old People's Home.
- 1903 - 1936
- St Magdalen's Refuge Buckingham Street situated at Sydney. Location: Sydney
Records Managed by
- Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/DOCSWR/_assets/main/documents/connectkin_guide.pdf. Details
Prepared by: Melissa Downing
Created: 7 March 2011, Last modified: 31 May 2012