1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Balmain Industrial School (1910 - 1924)
- Care Provider, Catholic and Industrial School
[Taken from the New South Wales publication Connecting Kin: Guide to Records]
The Sisters of the Good Samaritan made a foundation at Balmain in 1864 and were engaged in primary and secondary teaching. They also conducted a boarding school for young ladies. In 1910, when the Manly Industrial School and Orphanage closed, permission was sought from Cardinal Moran to use the Balmain Convent for a Domestic Training School for the older orphans from Manly. The younger orphans were transferred to Mater Dei Orphanage at Narellan. The School closed in 1924.
- 1910 - 1924
- Balmain Industrial School situated at Balmain. Location: Balmain
Records Managed by
- Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/DOCSWR/_assets/main/documents/connectkin_guide.pdf. Details
- Balmain Industrial School
- Care Leavers Australia Network [CLAN]
Prepared by: Melissa Downing
Created: 8 March 2011, Last modified: 19 April 2012