1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation St John's Orphanage Thurgoona (1882 - 1978)
- Care Provider, Catholic, Children's Home and Orphanage
- Alternative Names
- St John's Albury (also referred to as)
- St John's Home, Wirlinga (also referred to as)
- St John's Orphanage Albury
St John's Orphanage was founded by the Albury foundation of the Sisters of Mercy in 1882 and was located at Thurgoona on the outskirts of Albury on the New South Wales-Victoria border. In 1907, the Sisters of Mercy, Goulburn Congregation was created, merging Goulburn with Yass and Albury foundations, and the control of St John's passed to the Goulburn Sisters.
This home was also known as St John's Home, Wirlinga. The orphanage initially provided care for girls aged five to sixteen years. It later provided accommodation and care for 30 British war orphans. In later years it cared for both boys and girls.
With changes in the welfare system the large institution was closed and in 1976-1978 opened as group homes for children. The site was, at some stage before 2010, used by Guadalupe House.
- 1882 -
- St John's Orphanage situated at Thurgoona. Location: Thurgoona
- Jones, Howard C., Orphanage survivors : a true story of St John's, Thurgoona, Howard C. Jones, Albury, 2010, 42 pp. Details
- Jones, Howard, 'Albury to show mercy over 'wrong' fence', The Border Mail, 24 June 2010, http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/51748/albury-to-show-mercy-over-wrong-fence/. Details
- Pattison, Gaye, St. John's orphans reunited, ABC Radio, 774 ABC Melbourne, 2010, http://blogs.abc.net.au/victoria/2010/03/st-johns-orphans-reunited.html. Details
- Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/DOCSWR/_assets/main/documents/connectkin_guide.pdf. Details
- St John's Orphanage Albury (Thurgoona)
- 24 June 2010
- The Border Mail
Sources used to compile this entry: Jones, Howard, 'Albury to show mercy over 'wrong' fence', The Border Mail, 24 June 2010, http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/51748/albury-to-show-mercy-over-wrong-fence/.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing and Naomi Parry
Created: 8 March 2011, Last modified: 27 January 2013