1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation St Joseph's Orphanage, Cowper (1914 - 1972)
- Care Provider and Orphanage
- Alternative Names
- Cowper (also referred to as)
- Cowper Orphanage (also referred to as)
[Taken from the New South Wales publication Connecting Kin: Guide to Records]
St Joseph's Orphanage began its operation in substitute care on 18 January 1914. The original clients were 'poor and destitute' children. The first children's facility was located in the village of Cowper, outside Grafton, on the North Coast of New South Wales, on a property owned by the Sisters of Mercy. Its mission was to care for those suffering from poverty and destitution brought about by the economic downturn and parent loss during World War I. In 1972, the agency relocated to a site in North Street, Grafton and became known as St Joseph's Cowper Children's Homes.
St Joseph's Orphanage continued its operation in these premises until January 1972. During this period of time it catered for 2125 clients. For this time, the service was financed by a dairy farm on farmland purchased by the Sisters of Mercy and later by the building of an egg production plant. Orchards were also planted for fruit. Around 1930 child endowment was received as the first public money supporting the service. Following the efforts of Mr Pollock of a Grafton firm of solicitors to obtain the above endowment, the Church and civil community became involved in the support of St Joseph's for its running expenses. To the present time the financial support of the local community through donation is significant in the running of the service.
- 1914 - 1972
- St Joseph's Orphanage situated at Cowper, Grafton. Location: Cowper
- Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/DOCSWR/_assets/main/documents/connectkin_guide.pdf. Details
- St Joseph's Orphanage (Cowper)
- Care Leavers Australia Network [CLAN]
Prepared by: Melissa Downing
Created: 8 March 2011, Last modified: 26 October 2011