1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Reiby Training School (1973 - )
- Care Provider, Government-run, Juvenile Detention Centre and Training Institution
- Alternative Names
- Reiby Juvenile Justice Centre (now known as)
Reiby Training School was established at Airds, near Campbelltown, by the Department of Community Services as a home for delinquent girls in August 1973.
Reiby became Reiby Juvenile Justice Centre in the 1990s. The centre accommodates males under the age of 16 years, who are on control orders or on remand, and has an education centre.
The centre offers a range of health, educational and spiritual services to the young people, including individual case management, specialised counselling, and training in job and living skills. The centre also specialises in managing young male offenders with extreme behavioural problems with a unit specifically designated to address the special needs of this group. The Waratah Unit, also at Reiby Juvenile Justice Centre, was opened in late 2010, and is a pre-release unit aimed at preparing young people for return into the community. The unit caters for 10 young people from across NSW.
- Reiby Training School situated at 20 Briar Road, Airds. Location: Airds
Records Managed by
- Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/DOCSWR/_assets/main/documents/connectkin_guide.pdf. Details
- Wallace, Natasha and Jacobsen, Geesche, 'Young lives trapped inside the system', The Sydney Morning Herald, 28 April 2012, http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/young-lives-trapped-inside-the-system-20120427-1xq62.html. Details
- Care Leavers Australia Network [CLAN]
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 23 March 2011, Last modified: 13 March 2013