1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Department of Juvenile Justice (1990 - )
- Care Provider and Government Department
- Alternative Names
- Office of Juvenile Justice (Formerly known as, 1990 - 1993)
The Department of Juvenile Justice was created in 1990 by the NSW Government. It is responsible for juvenile justice centres, which had previously been known as juvenile detention centres.
In 2012 these were: Acmena (Grafton); Broken Hill Shelter (Broken Hill); Cobham (St Mary's); Emu Plains (Emu Plains); Frank Baxter (Mt Penang); Juniperina (Lidcombe); Orana (Dubbo); Reiby (Airds); Riverina (Wagga Wagga).
When the Office of Juvenile Justice was created in 1990 it assumed responsibility for people who had been under the control of the Department of Community Services (DoCS). Records were transferred from DoCS to the Juvenile Justice in stages. This usually affects people born after 1970. People may have records in both Departments.
People seeking access to records of their time in the Department of Juvenile Justice can make a request for information to the Department. Please note, care leavers may also be asked to contact the Department of Family and Community Services Care Leaver Access Unit first.
Contact for Department of Juvenile Justice
Right to Information Officer
Department of Juvenile Justice
Level 24, 477 Pitt Street
Sydney NSW 2000
PO Box K399
Haymarket NSW 1240
Tel: (02) 9219 9400
Fax: (02) 9219 9500
Records Managed by
Manages Records of
Provided 'care' at
- Landa, D.E., Ombudsman, Report to Parliament Under Section 31 of the Ombudsman Act 1974: Concerning the failure of the former Department of Family and Community Services to issue instructions to superintendent and staff on the requirements of the Children (Detention Centres) Act and its regulations, in terms of minor and serious misbehaviour and in particular instructions on dealing with assaults on detainees by detainees, 2 December 1991. Details
- Quinn, Peter E, Unenlightened efficiency: the administration of the juvenile correction system in New South Wales 1905-1988, University of Sydney, History, 27 March 2006, http://hdl.handle.net/2123/623. Details
- Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/DOCSWR/_assets/main/documents/connectkin_guide.pdf. Details
- Wallace, Natasha and Jacobsen, Geesche, 'Young lives trapped inside the system', The Sydney Morning Herald, 28 April 2012, http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/young-lives-trapped-inside-the-system-20120427-1xq62.html. Details
Sources used to compile this entry: Quinn, Peter E, Unenlightened efficiency: the administration of the juvenile correction system in New South Wales 1905-1988, University of Sydney, History, 27 March 2006, http://hdl.handle.net/2123/623.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 27 April 2011, Last modified: 19 December 2012