1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Glossary Term Stolen Generations
The term 'stolen generations' was coined by the historian Peter Read in 1981. Through his research Read became aware of the large number of Indigenous children removed from their families and communities through much of the twentieth century, many in ways which could only be described as stolen or kidnapped. Upon the release of the Bringing them home Report in 1997 the media coined the term 'stolen generation' to describe the Indigenous people and others who told their stories to the Inquiry.
- Director : Steven McGregor; Producers: Anna Grieve and Danielle MacLean., Croker Island exodus [videorecording (DVD)]., Jennifer Crone Productions; ABC Program Sales, 2012. Details
- Bezant, Betty, Our river days : a reflection of childhood memories, 1942-1946 : children from Otford, New South Wales and Croker Island, Northern Terrory, Kardoorair Press, Armidale, 2008, 72 pp. Details
- Bringing them home: National Inquiry into the Separation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children from Their Families, Commonwealth of Australia: Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Commission, 1997, 689 pp. Also available at http://www.humanrights.gov.au/publications/bringing-them-home-report-1997. Details
- Berry, M; French, B; Roden, D, Inquiry into children and youth under institutional and other forms of care; submission by Department of Youth and Community Services, New South Wales, February, 1984, 1984. Details
- Department of Child Welfare and Social Welfare, Report of the Minister for Social Welfare on the working of the Aborigines Act, 1969., Government Printer, Sydney, 1970. Details
- 'Archives In Brief 44 - Aboriginal Schools 1876-c.1979', in Archives in Brief, Outlines the main records held by State Records relating to Aboriginal Schools. Other records may be identified in A Guide to NSW State Archives relating to Aboriginal People, Archives Investigator, and State Records' other finding aids., State Records Authority of New South Wales, http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-44. Details
- 'Archives In Brief 78 - Access to records relating to Aboriginal people', in Archives In Brief, Provides guidance on how to access records relating to Aboriginal people held as NSW State archives. It also provides contact details for accessing records relating to Aboriginal people held in other States and Territories., State Records Authority of New South Wales, http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-78. Details
- State archives relating to Aboriginal people, State Records NSW, 1998, http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-relating-to-aboriginal-people/state-archives-relating-to-aboriginal-people. Details
- 'Apology Transcript', in We say Sorry - The National Apology to Indigenous Peoples of Australia, Parliament House, Canberra, 13 February 2008, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, 2008, http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/collections/exhibitions/apology/sorry.html. Details
- We say Sorry - The National Apology to Indigenous Peoples of Australia, Parliament House, Canberra, 13 February 2008, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, 2008, http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/collections/exhibitions/apology/home.html. Details
- 'Forgotten Australians', in Hansard: NSW Legislative Assembly by date, Parliament of New South Wales, 25 November 2010, http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LA20101125012. Details
- 'Our Stories Must Be Told: Stolen Generation, Child Migrants & Forgotten Australians', in Forgotten Australians Action Group, 2010, http://www.forgottenaustralians.com/tamhayblogs/index.php/yourstory/. Details
- Stolen Generations' Testimonies, Stolen Generations' Testimonies Foundation, 2012, http://stolengenerationstestimonies.com/index.php. Details
- Australian Human Rights Commission, 'Content of apologies by State and Territory Parliaments', in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice, 30 March 2008, http://www.humanrights.gov.au/social_justice/bth_report/apologies_states.html. Details
- Department of Health and Ageing, Improving Aged Care for Forgotten Australians, Australian Government, 9 November 2010, http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/ageing-rescare-forgotten-aust.htm. Details
- Henty-Gebert, Claire, Paint Me Black: Memories Of Croker Island And Other Journeys, Aboriginal Studies Press for the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra, 2005, 72 pp, http://www.worldcat.org/title/paint-me-black-memories-of-croker-island-and-other-journeys/oclc/778074479?referer=di&ht=edition. Details
- Olsson, Kristina, 'All the lost children', The Weekend Australian Magazine, 30-31 March 2013, http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/all-the-lost-children/story-e6frg8h6-1226607413904. Details
- Back to Cootamundra
- 9 June 2012
Sources used to compile this entry: Australian Human Rights Commission, 'Content of apologies by State and Territory Parliaments', in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice, 30 March 2008, http://www.humanrights.gov.au/social_justice/bth_report/apologies_states.html.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 27 October 2011