1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Nautical School Ship 'Vernon' (1867 - 1892)
- Care Provider, Government-run, Industrial School and Reformatory
- Alternative Names
- N.S.S. Vernon
- Vernon Training Ship
The N.S.S. Vernon was a wooden sailing ship that had been a merchant vessel. It was purchased by the NSW Government in 1867 and fitted out as an industrial school and reformatory. More than 100 boys lived on board the ship, which was anchored next to substantial grounds between Garden Island and the Government Domain. Next to the school, on land, was a gymnasium, a spacious recreation ground, an entertainment hall and a recreation hall. It was the only industrial school for boys at the time.
At first boys learned nautical and industrial skills and trades, as well as receiving 'moral training'. The intention was to fit them for seafaring. In 1871 Vernon was moved to Cockatoo Island. From 1878, under the guidance of Superintendent Frederick William Neitenstein, boys were given proper schooling, physical drills and a system of grades and privileges. They did, however, fraternise with the girls in Biloela, next door on Cockatoo Island, causing problems until the girls were relocated to Parramatta.
Vernon was replaced by Sobraon in 1892. Vernon was sold and scuttled in Kerosene Bay.
- 1867 - 1871
- N.S.S. Vernon located at Garden Island. Location: Garden Island
- 1871 - 1892
- N.S.S. Vernon located at Cockatoo Island
1867 - 1892 Nautical School Ship 'Vernon'
1892 - 1911 'Sobraon' Training Ship
Provided 'care' at
- Rubie, Valerie, Sent to the Mountain: A History of Mount Penang Juvenile Justice Centre, Closure Committee of Mount Penang Juvenile Justice Centre, Gosford, 2003, 236 pp. Details
- Archives In Brief 76 - Pupil records, Archives In Brief, Most of these government records provide information relating to Orphan Schools, Industrial Schools and Government schools for admission purposes. State Records does not hold school reports. To acquire copies of leaving certificates and school/higher school certificates please contact the Department of Education., State Records Authority of New South Wales. Also available at http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-76. Details
- Cockatoo Island, NSW Government, http://www.cockatooisland.gov.au/about/history-reform-school.html. Details
- 'Archives Investigator Archives in Brief 59 - Child care and protection', in Archives in Brief, State Records Authority of New South Wales, http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-59. Details
- Dunn, Mark, 'Vernon nautical training ship', in Dictionary of Sydney, 2008, http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/vernon_nautical_training_ship. Details
- Nautical Sailing Ship Vernon
- 1867 - 1892
Sources used to compile this entry: Dunn, Mark, 'Vernon nautical training ship', in Dictionary of Sydney, 2008, http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/vernon_nautical_training_ship.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 23 March 2012, Last modified: 12 September 2012