1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Publications Details Resource Section
- Northern Territory: Legislation
- To remove and protect: laws that changed Aboriginal lives
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, 2008
The information on this website was originally compiled for the Bringing Them Home report. It lists the laws that were in force to 'protect' and 'control' Australian Aboriginal people from the time of European settlement to the 1970s. Also included are some annual reports from the government departments that administered the laws, and some reports from key inquiries. There is a section for each State and Territory.
- Aboriginals Ordinance (No. 2) 1953, Northern Territory
- Aboriginals Ordinance 1911, Northern Territory of Australia
- Aboriginals Ordinance 1918, Northern Territory of Australia
- Adoption of Children Act 1994, Northern Territory of Australia
- Adoption of Children Regulations 1994, Northern Territory of Australia
- Child Welfare Ordinance 1958, Northern Territory
- Community Welfare Act 1983, Northern Territory of Australia
- Social Welfare Ordinance 1964, Northern Territory
- Welfare Ordinance 1953-60, Northern Territory (1953 - 1960)
- Welfare Ordinance 1961, Northern Territory