1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Nauiyu (1957 - 1977)
- Care Provider, Catholic, Mission, Mission Boarding School and School
- Alternative Names
- Daly River Mission (former name)
Nauiyu was the name given to a mission established by the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart on the Daly River in 1955. At the request of local elders, the sisters also opened a school and health clinic. The school operated as a residential school for girls and boys aged 5 to 17. The Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart took responsibility for teaching and caring for the girls while the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart provided care and education for the boys.
As the community at Nauiyu developed and people resided closer to the school, residential care was no longer required. The residential facility closed in 1977 but the day school continued.
- 1955 - 1957
- Nauiyu situated at Daly River.. Location: Daly River
Records Managed by
- "A Piece of the Story": National Directory of Records of Catholic Organisations Caring for Children Separated from Families, December 2001, http://catholicsocialservices.org.au/publications/other/a_peice_of_the_story. Details
- Daly River Mission
- 2 November 1978
- Daly River
- Photo No.: PH0095/0105
- Northern Territory Library
Sources used to compile this entry: "A Piece of the Story": National Directory of Records of Catholic Organisations Caring for Children Separated from Families, December 2001, http://catholicsocialservices.org.au/publications/other/a_peice_of_the_story.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 12 January 2011, Last modified: 5 March 2013