1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Ltyentye Apurte (1953 - 1977)
- Care Provider, Catholic, Mission, Mission Boarding School and School
- Alternative Names
- Santa Teresa (former name)
The Catholic mission at Santa Teresa, now Ltyentye Apurte, was originally located at Charles Creek. It was moved twice, the first time to Arltunga in 1942, and then to its current site at Santa Teresa in 1953. In school the girls were supervised by the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart and the boys by the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart. The children's ages ranged from 5 to 17 years. In addition to residential care, medical and educational care were also provided. The residential services were discontinued as the settlement developed with the day school continuing.
- Little Flower mission situated at Charles Creek. Location: Charles Creek
- Mission is moved to Arltunga. Location: Arltunga
- Mission is moved to Santa Teresa. Location: Santa Teresa
Records Managed by
- "A Piece of the Story": National Directory of Records of Catholic Organisations Caring for Children Separated from Families, December 2001, http://catholicsocialservices.org.au/publications/other/a_peice_of_the_story. Details
- Aboriginal housing at Santa Teresa Mission south of Alice Springs, Northern Territory, 1966 [picture]
- Carter, Jeff
- Identifier: nla.pic-vn4231201
- National Library of Australia
Sources used to compile this entry: "A Piece of the Story": National Directory of Records of Catholic Organisations Caring for Children Separated from Families, December 2001, http://catholicsocialservices.org.au/publications/other/a_peice_of_the_story.
Prepared by: Anna Trengove
Created: 27 January 2011, Last modified: 12 June 2012