1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Bathurst Island Mission (1912 - 1970)
- Care Provider, Catholic, Mission, Mission Boarding School and School
- Alternative Names
- Murrupurtiyanuwu Catholic School (current name)
- St Therese's School (former name)
- Xavier Boys' School (former name)
The Bathurst Island Mission was established in 1911, after a Catholic Priest, Father Francis Xavier Gsell received government approval to begin missionary work on the island.
A mission boarding school for girls was opened in 1912 by the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. The Missionaries of the Sacred Heart opened a similar residential school for boys in 1932. The schools primarily catered for Aboriginal children aged 5 to 17 years.
In March 1919 a cyclone severely damaged the Mission. The Mission also closed in 1940 as a result of the Second World War. It reopened in 1946. As people settled closer to the Mission, the boarding facilities were no longer used, but the day schools continued.
- Bathurst Island Mission situated at Nguiu, Bathurst Island. Location: Bathurst Island
- 1940 - 1946
- Bathurst Island Mission closed due to the war in 1940 and reopened in 1946. Location: Bathurst Island
Records Managed by
- "A Piece of the Story": National Directory of Records of Catholic Organisations Caring for Children Separated from Families, December 2001, http://catholicsocialservices.org.au/publications/other/a_peice_of_the_story. Details
- Fact sheet 151 - Bishop Francis Xavier Gsell MSC, National Archives of Australia, 2012, http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs151.aspx. Details
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples - Reserves, missions and homeland centres - Roman Catholic Mission on Bathurst Island [photographic image]
- Tanner, John
- Image no.: A1200, L25682
- National Archives of Australia
Sources used to compile this entry: "A Piece of the Story": National Directory of Records of Catholic Organisations Caring for Children Separated from Families, December 2001, http://catholicsocialservices.org.au/publications/other/a_peice_of_the_story; Fact sheet 151 - Bishop Francis Xavier Gsell MSC, National Archives of Australia, 2012, http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs151.aspx.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 27 January 2011, Last modified: 13 June 2012