1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Griffiths House (1945 - ?)
- Care Provider, Children's Home, Hostel and Methodist
- Alternative Names
- Alice Springs Children's Hostel (Also known as)
- Methodist Children's Hostel (Also known as)
Griffiths House provided hostel accommodation for children from remote areas of Central and Northern Australia. Most children stayed at the Home while attending school in Alice Springs. The Home was named after Reverend Harry Griffiths and his wife who worked with the Methodist Inland Mission. In 1948 the Home provided accommodation for 38 children.
Griffiths House was first opened as accommodation for young men and women working for the Government or other businesses in Alice Springs. In 1941 it was used as a soldiers' club. After the War, the Methodist Inland Mission made the decision to re-open the Home as a children's hostel.
The Griffiths House building was demolished in 1984.
- 1945 - ?
- Griffiths House is situated at Hartley Street, Alice Springs. Location: Alice Springs
- 'Eleanor Barbour's Pages for Country Women', The Chronicle, Adelaide (Adelaide), Please note that this newspaper article contains offensive and derogatory terms which are today considered unacceptable. We apologise for any offence which may be caused., 16 May 1946, p. 32, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/93156001. Details
- 'Popular Griffiths House Financial Success', Centralian Advocate (Alice Springs), 22 October 1948, p. 1, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article59648596. Details
- 'What makes a hostel "tick": Facets of life at Griffiths House', Centralian Advocate (Alice Springs), 24 August 1951, p. 14, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article59840928. Details
- 'How a hostel works: Life at Griffiths House', Centralian Advocate (Alice Springs), 17 August 1951, p. 11, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article59839604. Details
- 'Game Helps Hostel', The Advertiser (Adelaide), 26 June 1953, p. 15, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article48272687. Details
- Griffiths House - building new boys dormitory
- Pearce, Norman
- Picture NT - Northern Territory Library
- Griffiths House
- Peck, David
- Northern Territory Library
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Popular Griffiths House Financial Success', Centralian Advocate (Alice Springs), 22 October 1948, p. 1, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article59648596; 'How a hostel works: Life at Griffiths House', Centralian Advocate (Alice Springs), 17 August 1951, p. 11, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article59839604.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 24 April 2012, Last modified: 12 June 2012