1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation W. R. Black Home (1928 - 1965)
- Care Provider, Children's Home and Presbyterian
[Taken from the Queensland guide, Missing Pieces (2001), pp. 35-36]
The W.R. Black Home, 7 Laurel Avenue, Chelmer was operated by the Presbyterian Church. It opened officially in 1928.
The home was licensed as a private institution under The State Children Act on 21 March 1929. In July 1938 it gained approval for children in State care to be admitted. The first intake of State children happened on 24 September 1938.The Home was licensed under The lnfant Life Protection Act on 27 September 1938. Children of both sexes were admitted following closure of Blackheath Home in May 1963. W.R. Black Home closed on 31 July 1965. Some children were transferred to the Family Group Home, Jethro St Aspley.
On 29 November 1969 the home opened as the Chelmer Children's Home, operating as a special care centre for babies and toddlers. It also contained a family group wing. On 19 January 1970, it converted to three Family Group Home Units, then in 1971 it was again converted into a centre for children with disabilities.
- c. 1928 - 31 July 1965
- W. R. Black Home was situated at 7 Laurel Avenue. Location: Chelmer
- Department of Families, 'pp.35-36', Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001, http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/resources/childsafety/foster-care/missing-pieces.pdf. Details
- Presbyterian Home for Children, also known as W. R. Black Home, Brisbane
- November 1928
- JOL, SLQ Negative number: 2898
- John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland
Sources used to compile this entry: Department of Families, 'pp.35-36', Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001, http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/resources/childsafety/foster-care/missing-pieces.pdf.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 8 June 2011, Last modified: 9 January 2012