1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Dowdle Family Group Home (c. 1963 - 1993)
- c. 1963
- Care Provider, Family Group Home, Presbyterian and Uniting Church
[Taken from the Queensland guide, Missing Pieces (2001), p. 42]
The Dowdle Family Group Home was operated by the Presbyterian and Uniting Churches. It opened in c. 1963 at 119 Ashby Street, Fairfield, and was licensed initially under The State Children Act. Subsequently it was licensed under The Children's Services Act on 4 August 1966. The Dowdle Family Group Home moved to Salisbury and on 22 June 1977 control was transferred to the Uniting Church. From March 1985 it was known as "Dowdle". It moved to Bellevue Avenue, Salisbury in October 1986 and closed in 1993.
The Uniting Church has advised that they hold no client records of former residents of Congregational, Methodist, Presbyterian and Uniting Church institutions. Any existing records were transferred to the John Oxley Library in Brisbane. These records only relate to church administration and operations. There are no individual files of former residents.
Uniting Care Queensland
Att: Wendy Barrie
GPO Box 45
Brisbane QLD 4001
Ph: (07) 3025 2011
Fax: (07) 3025 2099
- c. 1963 - c. 1977
- The Dowdle Family Group Home was situated at 119 Ashby Street, Fairfield. Location: Fairfield
- c. 1977 - c. October 1986
- The Dowdle Family Group Home was situated in Salisbury. Location: Brisbane
- October 1986 - 1993
- Dowdle was situated at Bellevue Avenue, Salisbury. Location: Salisbury
- Department of Families, 'p.42', Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001, http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/resources/childsafety/foster-care/missing-pieces.pdf. Details
Sources used to compile this entry: Department of Families, 'p.42', Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001, http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/resources/childsafety/foster-care/missing-pieces.pdf.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 8 June 2011, Last modified: 9 December 2012