1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Diamantina Receiving Depot and Infants' Home (1910 - 1962)
- Babies' Home, Care Provider, Children's Home and Government-run
- Alternative Names
- Wooloowin State Childrens' Home (Also known as)
[Taken from the Queensland guide, Missing Pieces (2001), pp. 19-21]
The Diamantina Receiving Depot and Infants' Home, 84 Kedron Park Road, Wooloowin, was the new name given to the Diamantina Orphanage when it moved to Wooloowin in January, 1910. It was renamed The Diamantina Receiving Home in 1962.
In October 1909 the "Rowallan" property at 84 Dedron Park Road, Wooloowin, vacated by the Boys' Home, Wooloowin in 1906, was purchased by the State Government from Dr Joseph Smith Clowes of Albion, as the new site for the Diamantina Receiving Depot and Infants' Home.
The Diamantina home moved from Sandgate to the new premises at Wooloowin in January 1910. There is no description of the building when it was occupied by the Boys' Home. At the time of purchase by the Government it was described as a large house with 14 rooms on 4 acres 30 perches. The name of the facility was changed to Warilda in 1964 and the original building existed until the mid 1960s.
- January 1910 - January 1962
- Diamantina Receiving Depot and Infants' Home was situated at 84 Kedron Park Road, Wooloowin. Location: Wooloowin
1865 - 1910 Diamantina Orphanage
1910 - 1962 Diamantina Receiving Depot and Infants' Home
1962 - 1964 Diamantina Receiving Home
1964 - 1967 Warilda Children's Home and Warilda Infants' Home
1967 - 1989 Warilda Receiving and Assessment Centre
Records managed by
- Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001, http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/resources/childsafety/foster-care/missing-pieces.pdf. Details
- Centenary of care for children 1879-1979, 1979, http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/36784/20030730-0000/www.families.qld.gov.au/department/centenary_of_care/index.html. Details
- Wooloowin State Children's Home, Brisbane, ca. 1931
- JOL, QSL Negative number: 110418
- Picture Queensland, John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland
Sources used to compile this entry: Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001, http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/resources/childsafety/foster-care/missing-pieces.pdf.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 20 July 2011, Last modified: 25 September 2012