1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Catholic Girls Home Parkside (1930 - 1943)
- Care Provider and Catholic
- Alternative Names
- Genazzano Home (Also known as)
[Taken from the South Australian guide Finding Your Own Way]
The Catholic Girls Home was opened at 21 Young Street, Parkside on the 31 August 1930. It was established to house ten Roman Catholic girls from the Salvation Army run Barton Vale Probationary Home. Many of these girls had come from the Redruth Girls Reformatory which closed in 1922. It was run by the Sisters of St Joseph and overseen by the Children's Welfare and Public Relief Board that paid subsidies to cover the cost of caring for the girls. The home could only house 10 girls at one time and was always regarded as temporary. It closed on 21 January 1943 and the girls were transferred to the Convent of the Good Shepherd at Plympton.
This home for Catholic girls, known as Genazzano Home, was opened in August 1930 in a twelve room house already owned by the Catholic Church. It was named after a village in Italy where a miraculous picture of the Virgin Mary, is venerated. No explanation for this name is recorded, but it has been suggested that the name was chosen in the hope that the home would be protected by Mary. The establishment of this new reformatory had been encouraged by the chairman of the Children's Welfare and Public Relief Department. He wished to relocate the ten Roman Catholic girls detained in the Salvation Army managed Barton Vale Probationary Home for Girls to a separate Catholic reformatory. There they would be able to receive religious training in their own faith. These girls had mostly come from the Redruth Girls Reformatory which had closed in 1922.
The new home at Parkside operated under the direction of the Archbishop of Adelaide and was managed by the Sisters of St Joseph. The first matron was Sister Francis Clare. The home was also under the control of the Children's Welfare and Public Relief Board which paid a subsidy to the reformatory to cover the complete cost of the care of the girls. In 1930 this sum was £1 per girl per week. During the Second World War the girls received correspondence school lessons and were given instruction in first aid and air raid precautions. This small home could only house ten girls at one time and was always regarded as temporary. On 21 January 1943 it closed and the girls were transferred to the Convent of the Good Shepherd at Plympton.
- 1930 - 1943
- Catholic Girls Home Parkside situated at 21 Young Street, Parkside. Location: Parkside
Records Managed by
- Foale, Marie Therese, Think of the Ravens: The Sisters of St Joseph in Social Welfare, Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart Inc, Kent Town, 2001. Details
- 'NEW HOME FOR GIRLS', The Register News-Pictorial (Adelaide, South Australia), A photograph of a cottage for Roman Catholic girls at Parkside, no. 20 August 1930, 1930, p. 12, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article53798293. Details
- 'OPENING OF NEW HOME FOR CATHOLIC GIRLS', The Register (Adelaide, South Australia), A photograph of a large number of visitors attending the opening of the Catholic Girls Home at Parkside, 1 September 1930, p. 1, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article54151612. Details
- George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://www.salinkup.com.au/content.php?page_id=4. Details
- Catholic Girls Home Parkside 01
- The Register News - Pictorial, Wednesday 20 August 1930, page 12
Sources used to compile this entry: 'NEW HOME FOR GIRLS', The Register News-Pictorial (Adelaide, South Australia), A photograph of a cottage for Roman Catholic girls at Parkside, no. 20 August 1930, 1930, p. 12, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article53798293; George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://www.salinkup.com.au/content.php?page_id=4.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 4 February 2011, Last modified: 3 April 2013