1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation St Joseph's Orphanage Largs Bay (1907? - 1969)
- Care Provider, Catholic, Children's Home and Orphanage
- Alternative Names
- Junior Boys Home of the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart Incorporated (Also known as)
- Largs Bay Orphanage (Also known as)
- St Joseph's Junior Boy's Home (Also known as)
[Taken from the South Australian guide Finding Your Own Way]
St Joseph's Orphanage Largs Bay, formerly known as St Joseph's Sanatorium, was situated at 208 The Esplanade, Largs Bay and was run by the Sisters of St Joseph. Originally accommodating women and children 'in need of respite' the Home began to concentrate on the care of boys and girls from infants to school age in 1906-07. In 1907 the Archbishop established the Home as St Joseph's Orphanage. In 1941 the focus changed to boys between 3 and 12 years of age with all girls shifting to the St Vincent de Paul Orphanage at Goodwood, and older boys going to Brooklyn Park. During the 1960s the Orphanage was known as the St Joseph's Junior Boys Home. Some girls returned to the orphanage in 1969 and its name was changed to the St Joseph's Children's Home.
The St Joseph's Orphanage Largs Bay, formerly known as St Joseph's Sanatorium, was the second orphanage to be managed by the Sisters of St Joseph. The original Sanatorium moved from Kalgoorlie Street in Largs Bay to a larger premises on the Esplanade near the Largs Bay jetty in 1906. Although the Sanatorium continued for a time to accommodate women in the new premises, the Sisters began to concentrate on its role as an orphanage for boys and girls from infancy to school leaving age. In 1907 the then Archbishop of Adelaide, Archbishop O'Reily, established the Home as St Joseph's Orphanage. By 1908 the large building was becoming overcrowded so a cottage on an adjoining lot was purchased. In 1910 sixty-two children were being cared for in the orphanage and by 1912 the Sisters were running out of room for the numbers of children being referred to them. Over the next few years a number of additions were made to the building, including a schoolroom in 1912 and a kitchen and laundry in 1917.
In 1941, after the arrival of Archbishop Matthew Beovich in Adelaide, the focus of the Orphanage changed. The Archbishop arranged for all the older boys from the orphanages at Goodwood and Largs Bay to be placed at Brooklyn Park under the care of the Brothers of St John the Baptist and later the Salesians of Don Bosco. All girls were moved to the St Vincent de Paul orphanage and St Joseph's took charge of boys aged between three and twelve.
During the 1960s the home accommodated up to sixty boys under the care of seven Sisters. At that time the institution became known as St Joseph's Junior Boys Home. The boys were accommodated in three dormitories, divided by their age. They were educated at a kindergarten and school run by three resident Sisters who were registered school teachers. They also received religious instruction from the Sisters.
From 1969 a small number of girls were admitted and one of the dormitories was set aside for their use. The home then became known as St Joseph's Children's Home.
- 1906 - 1969
- St Joseph's Orphanage situated at 208 The Esplanade, Largs Bay. Location: Largs Bay
Records Managed by
- Foale, Marie Therese, Think of the Ravens: The Sisters of St Joseph in Social Welfare, Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart Inc, Kent Town, 2001. Details
- Largs Bay Orphanage
- 1906 - 1980
- Adelaide Catholic Archdiocesan Archives
Sources used to compile this entry: George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://www.salinkup.com.au/content.php?page_id=4.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 7 February 2011, Last modified: 3 April 2013