1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Barton Vale Girls Home (1922 - 1947)
- Care Provider, Reformatory and Salvation Army
- Alternative Names
- Barton Vale Girls Reformatory (Also known as)
- Barton Vale School (Also known as)
[Taken from the South Australian guide Finding Your Own Way]
Please note that this page reproduces the original language used in the historical sources drawn upon to compile this entry. This language includes offensive and derogatory terms which are today considered unacceptable. We apologise for any offence caused by such language.
Barton Vale Girls Home was established in 1922. According to the Chief Secretary, Mr JG Bice, the new institution was to be 'a home for the girls, and not a prison'.
In 1922 the State Government closed the reformatory for girls at Redruth in Burra. The Government had already requested that The Salvation Army take over the running of the reformatory and it assisted the Army in its purchase of a 21 acre (8.5 hectares) estate known as Barton Vale. On the property stood the early Victorian, Gothic-style mansion originally built by pastoralist Edmund Bowman. At the death of the last member of that family the contents of the home were auctioned and the building sold to the Army for £2600.
In August of the same year, the small number of girls resident at Burra were transferred to the Enfield premises. Others soon joined them. The Salvation Army's work at Barton Vale was conducted under the control of the State Children's Council and its successor, the Children's Welfare and Public Relief Board. The first matron of the new home was Adjutant Ryder and she was assisted initially by three other staff members.
The Salvation Army ran the Barton Vale home until 1947 when the Government resumed responsibility for the reformatory and renamed it Vaughan House. By the late 1980s Barton Vale House was almost derelict. The Enfield Historical Society successfully campaigned for its restoration. This was funded by the State Government which later used the building for offices. The House is now the headquarters of The Smith Family.
- ? - 1947
- Barton Vale Girls Home situated at 20 Walker Court, Enfield. Location: Enfield
- 1922 - ?
- Barton Vale Girls Home situated at Harewood Avenue, Enfield. Location: Enfield
1922 - 1947 Barton Vale Girls Home
1947 - 1979 Vaughan House
1979 - 1993 South Australian Youth Remand and Assessment Centre
Records Managed by
- Kirkham, Lt-Col John C, Southern Soup-Soap-Salvation, a compendium of Salvation Army Social Services in the Australian Southern Territory, The Salvation Army Australia Southern Territory Territorial Archives and Museum, 2003. Details
- Steer, Hedley, Social Salvation, Early development of the Social Wing of The Salvation Army, The Salvation Army, Adelaide. Details
- Barton Vale Girls Home
- Care Leavers Australia Network (CLAN)
- Barton Vale Girls Home 01
- c. 1900
- B 59857
- State Library of South Australia
Sources used to compile this entry: George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://www.salinkup.com.au/content.php?page_id=4.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing
Created: 14 February 2011, Last modified: 6 August 2012