1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Wiltja Hostel (1956 - 1982)
- Care Provider, Hostel and Non-denominational
- Alternative Names
- Aborigines Advancement League Hostel (Also known as)
- Millswood Girls Home (Also known as)
[Taken from the South Australian guide Finding Your Own Way]
Wiltja Hostel for Aboriginal girls was opened in November 1956. Its purpose was to provide accommodation for girls who were attending secondary school in Adelaide. Many girls remained there during their first year of work after leaving school. In 1978 the hostel changed to a boarding home for Aboriginal people visiting the city. In 1980 the Aborigines Advancement League leased the property to the Education Department and two years later that department purchased the hostel.
- 1956 - 1982
- Wiltja Hostel situated at 17 East Avenue, Millswood. Location: Millswood
- Wiltja Hostel
- Care Leavers Australia Network (CLAN)
- Wiltja Girls' Hostel - Badge
- 1956 - 1982
- HT 28213
- Museum Victoria
Sources used to compile this entry: George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://www.salinkup.com.au/content.php?page_id=4.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing
Created: 16 February 2011, Last modified: 7 June 2012