1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Malmesbury Girls' Home (1950 - 1962)
- Care Provider, Children's Home, Cottage Home and Government-run
- Alternative Names
- Malmesbury Children's Home
- Malmesbury Cottage House
Malmesbury Girls' Home was established in 1950 when the Cottage House moved from Edward Street, Glebe to Cavell Street, West Hobart. It took 12 children. In 1960, the Social Services Department used Malmesbury for young girls considered to have behavioural problems and so needing close supervision. It became a receiving home in 1962.
If you have information about Malmesbury Girls' Home, please get in touch using the 'Tell us about it' link on the left side of this page.
At the time of the move from Edward Street, there were 9 girls and 2 boys living at the Home. Two other girls had left school and started work but remained at the Home as boarders. At this time, a Receiving Home Keeper ran Malmesbury.
In 1950, there was no power point in the laundry which forced the Receiving Home Keeper to run a lead from the kitchen across the yard where the children played. The Director of the Social Services Department had to request permission from the Chief Secretary to install a new power point in the laundry.
The Department appears to have reduced the number of children at Malmesbury to 8 while it specifically catered for girls considered to have behavioural problems. During this period, 2 departmental officers staffed the Home. Malmesbury was the first home in Tasmania for girls thought to need close supervision. It predates Weeroona Girls' Training Centre.
By 1962, there was less need for accommodation for these girls because Weeroona could take them. Malmesbury became a receiving home.
- 1950 - 1962
- Malmesbury Children's Home was in Cavell Street, West Hobart. Location: West Hobart
1943 - c. 1950 Cottage Home
1950 - 1962 Malmesbury Girls' Home
- The former Malmesbury Children's, Receiving and Family Group Home in 2008
- The former Malmesbury Children's, Receiving and Family Group Home in 2009
- The former Malmesbury Children's, Receiving and Family Group Home in 2010.The evacuation slide is on the right.The Social Welfare Department installed it in case of fire.
- The former Malmesbury Children's, Receiving and Family Group Home
- c. 2010
Sources used to compile this entry: Social Services Department: report for the year ended 30th June 1960, Department of Social Services, Hobart, 1960; Report of the Department of Social Welfare; for the year ended 30th June 1962, Department of Social Welfare, Hobart, 1962.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 23 November 2011, Last modified: 9 April 2013