1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Archival Collection Records held by Kennerley Children's Homes (1869 - 2012)
The collection at Kennerley Children's Home dates from 1869. The records include nominal rolls, photographs, annual reports, and personal files. However, this is a small remnant of the original collection. Kennerley Boys' Home (now Kennerley Children's Home) sold their site in Lansdowne Crescent in 1969. About that time, most of the records were destroyed by a fire in a South Hobart shed.
Care leavers (and their families) wanting to find information or access personal files can contact Kennerley Children's Home.
Kennerley Children's Homes
P.O. Box 576
Glenorchy, Tas 7010
Ph. (03) 62 725900
Fax: (03) 62 739100
More specifically, the collection includes:
- Register (1978-2004) - arranged alphabetically with the name, date of birth, date admitted and date discharged of each child.
- Register labeled 'Kennerley Boys' Home Nominal Roll' (October 1957-2004) - arranged alphabetically with surnames, given names, date of birth, date admitted, and date discharged. It also includes remarks, usually where the child went next.
- Register (1914-1964) - with an index of names at the front. It is organised by the date of admission for each child and contains the full name, date of birth, 'from what district', name and district of relatives, level of education, and remarks such as where the child went on discharge.
- Register (1869-2004) - arranged chronologically and alphabetically with name and year admitted. This does not appear to be an original document but it states that all the entries are cross-referenced.
- Photographs - from c 1870 to 2012 with gaps.
- Annual Reports (from 1994) - from 1994 to 2002 these are only auditor's reports. Since 2002 they have contained other information.
- Personal case files from 1970 - the home will copy these on request. However, they are legally obliged to keep the original files.
- List of Chairman of the Board of Management (1869-2000)
- List of Secretaries to the Board of Management (1869-2000)
- List of Superintendents/Managers (1869-2009)
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 14 February 2012, Last modified: 3 July 2012