1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Archival Collection Northern Tasmanian Home for Boys Archival Collection (1920 - 1996)
The Northern Tasmanian Home for Boys Collection, which is held by the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, contains a wide range of records including annual reports, correspondence concerning children, Superintendents' reports and diaries, lists of children at the Home, reports about boys who had left the home, applications from families to take children for school holidays, a receipt for 130 files taken by the Department of Community Welfare, and some photographs.
A number of these records contain personal information and are closed. Others have open access. Contact the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery for further information.
Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery
2 Invermay Road
Launceston, Tas 7248
PO Box 403 Launceston, Tas 7250
Phone: 03 6323 3777
Facsimile: 03 6323 3776
More specifically, the collection includes:
- Legal records including the Constitution with notes, Regulations, the Memorandum and Articles of Association with amendments and associated correspondence, Certificate of Incorporation after the name change to Glenara, and rules relating to the cottage homes (1920-1974)
- Minutes of the Board of Management and various other committee meetings (1921-1981)
- Correspondence (1922-1982) - this includes correspondence about discharges from the Home from 1947 to 1982 and about wards of state from 1964 to 1973.
- Superintendents' Reports (1942-1982)
- Hostel Supervisors' Reports (1964-1969
- Annual Reports (1948-1983)
- Superintendents' diaries (1930-1944, 1946, 1948-1950, 1954, 1980)
- Miscellaneous items (1921-1991) - these include newspaper cuttings (1921-1980); a register of Boys (1933-1967); lists of children at the homes in 3 notebooks (1947-1981); reports on boys who have left the Home (1958); applications for Superintendent, Matron, Hostel Supervisor, Cook, Cottage Parents and Cottage Mother (1964-1968); applications to take children for school holidays (1980-1981); duties of the Superintendent and Assistant-Superintendent (1980); record of punishment book (1980); a Children's Court notice to parent (1980); and a receipt for 130 files taken by the Department of Community Welfare (1989)
- Reports about various aspects of the Home (1952-1982)
- Glenara Ladies' Auxiliary constitution rules, minutes of meetings, correspondence, and documents pertaining to the 'Gown of the Year' (1970-1980)
- Plans and specifications for new cottages and alterations to the Home and grounds (1947-1981)
- Photographs (1974 and undated) - these are of a visit to Government House in 1974 and the children and swimming pool
- Glenara Records including annual reports, newspaper clippings, plans for alterations, correspondence, a pictorial overview of the facilities, dated 1996, and undated photographs of job skills projects (1984-1998)
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 23 May 2012, Last modified: 10 April 2013