1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Convent of the Good Shepherd, Albert Park (1892 - c. 1973)
- c. 1973
- Catholic, Children's Home, Home and Hostel
- Alternative Names
- Marian Hall (Also known as)
- Rosary Place (Also known as)
The Convent of the Good Shepherd, Albert Park, was established in 1892. It first accommodated children aged from 15, but in later years also housed younger girls. The institution was closed by 1973.
The Convent of the Good Shepherd was established in 1892 by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd. The Albert Park Convent came into being as a result of overcrowding at the Sisters' Abbotsford Convent.
The 1890s was a period when heavy demand was placed upon the Good Shepherd Sisters due to the economic depression in Australia. The Albert Park Convent, at 142-150 Beaconsfield Parade, initially accommodated children from 15 years upwards. At a later stage, residential care was provided for younger girls.
Some of the young women at the Albert Park Convent worked in the industrial laundry. The Convent was a complex of buildings that spread out over the site on Beaconsfield Parade. A school was built in 1905. In the mid twentieth century, the Sisters also established a hostel for young women, called Marian Hall, situated at 224 Danks Street, Albert Park. The institution was closed by 1973 in line with the Sisters' policy of deinstitutionalisation.
- The Convent of the Good Shepherd is situated at 142-150 Beaconsfield Parade, Albert Park. Location: Albert Park
- Kovesi, Catherine, Pitch Your Tents on Distant Shores: a history of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd in Australia, Aotearoa/New Zealand and Tahiti, Playright Publishing, Caringbah, NSW, 2006. Details
- 'Convent Of Good Shepherd School (Form)', in Victorian Heritage Database, Heritage Victoria, http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/vhd/heritagevic. Details
- Mr Andrew Mack: Visit to a Convent: Children Entertained, The Argus, 22 July 1907, 6 pp, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article10134999. Details
- 'A Piece of the Story': National Directory of Records of Catholic organisations caring for children separated from their families, Australian Catholic Social Welfare Commission & Australian Conference of Leaders of Religious Institutes, November 1999, http://catholicsocialservices.org.au/system/files/Directory+-+edited+10+Dec+2001.pdf. Details
- 'Submission no 264', in Inquiry Into Institutional Care: Submissions received as at 17/03/05, Commonwealth of Australia, 18 October 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate_Committees?url=clac_ctte/completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist.htm. Details
- Grogan, Robert, 'From green to red and white', in Catholic Parish of Sts Peter and Paul, Catholic Parish of Sts Peter and Paul, http://sppchurch.org.au/parish-history/. Details
- Convent of Good Shepherd School
- File number B7036
- Heritage Victoria
- Convent of the Good Shepherd, Albert Park
- c. 1940 - c. 1960
- Rose Stereograph Co
- Accession no(s) H32492/7942
- State Library of Victoria
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Convent Of Good Shepherd School (Form)', in Victorian Heritage Database, Heritage Victoria, http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/vhd/heritagevic; Convent of the Good Shepherd, Albert Park [Image], Date: c. 1940 - c. 1960 Creator: Rose Stereograph Co; Grogan, Robert, 'From green to red and white', in Catholic Parish of Sts Peter and Paul, Catholic Parish of Sts Peter and Paul, http://sppchurch.org.au/parish-history/.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 17 March 2009, Last modified: 11 April 2013