1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Ashendene Boys' Home (1966 - 1988)
- Children's Home, Government-run and Home
The Ashendene Boys' Home in Falls Road, Olinda, opened in December 1966. It was estalished to accommodate boys aged from 10 to 15 years, and from 1977 housed mostly older teenage boys requiring longer term accommodation. Ashendene was relocated to new premises in Croydon in 1988.
The Victorian Government purchased the large former private home to house boys aged from 10 to 15 years, and address overcrowding at Allambcie and Turana Reception Centres.
It was proposed by the Department that Ashendene be used in conjunction with Hillside Boys' Home in Glen Waverley, with both institutions taking boys with a long history of institutional care and some offending behaviour. Unlike Hillside, boys at Ashendene were able to attend local schools.
By 1977, Ashendene's main intake was from Baltara Reception Centre, older teenage boys requiring longer term accommodation. In 1978 the capacity of the Home was reduced to 24 as the building was considered to be overcrowded.
In November 1988, Ashendene was relocated to a new facility in Croydon - a regional medium term residential unit for up to eight male and female adolescents.
- Ashendene Boys' Home is situated in Falls Road, Olinda. Location: Olinda
Records managed by
- James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services, 1940-2000, Department of Human Services, Unpublished. Details
- 'Submission no 401', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care: Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate_Committees?url=clac_ctte/completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist.htm. Details
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services, 1940-2000, Department of Human Services, Unpublished.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 1 May 2009, Last modified: 14 March 2013