1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation OzChild (1993 - )
- Care Provider, Community Service Organisation and Records Service
- Alternative Names
- Children Australia Inc. (Former name)
OzChild is one of Australia's oldest independent children's welfare organisations with a history of helping children since 1851. It was created in July 1993 when three long-established child welfare agencies - Family Action, Family Focus and The National Children's Bureau of Australia amalgamated to form Children Australia Inc. which now operates as OzChild.
OzChild holds records relating to children in its care and records of its predecessor institutions, back to the 1840s. Files are also held at the State Library of Victoria. Former residents (and their families) can apply to the State Library of Victoria for access to these records. Although it is not a requirement, it is recommended that you also make contact with OzChild for support and guidance before accessing records held at the State Library.
Information about accessing files, histories and the Melbourne Orphanage Reunion for people who have been in care at Ozchild or any of its previous agencies including:
- Melbourne Orphanage
- Melbourne Family Care Organisation
- Victorian Children's Aid Society
- Family Action
- Family Focus
- Children Australia Inc.
OzChild keeps more recent case files in secure storage off site. Older files (primarily pre 1950), are placed in the Manuscript Section of the State Library. If you would like to check whether your file is in the OzChild archives or the State Library, please contact OzChild Head Office (03) 9695 2200.
If Ozchild holds your files in the archives then you will need to make a request in writing to the Executive Officer, OzChild, PO Box 1312, South Melbourne, 3205 to view your files.
Once Ozchild receives the written request, they will photocopy your files and forward them to you as soon as possible. Please be aware that the process of retrieving your file from our secure archive facility, and reviewing it to ensure compliance with privacy legislation, may take up to eight weeks.
If your file is in the State Library you will need a letter of authorisation from OzChild to access your records. You will need to make an appointment before you visit the State Library. Contact OzChild on: (03) 9695 2200
c. 1845 - 1853 St James' Orphan Asylum and Visiting Society
1853 - 1926 Melbourne Orphan Asylum
1894 - 1920 Victorian Neglected Children's Aid Society
1926 - 1965 Melbourne Orphanage
1920 - 1991 Victorian Children's Aid Society
1965 - 1987 Melbourne Family Care Organisation
1971 - 1993 National Children's Bureau of Australia
1987 - 1993 Family Action
1991 - 1993 Family Focus
1993 - OzChild
Records managed by
- Hilton, Della, Selina's legacy: from VCAS to Oz Child, OzChild/Children Australia, Oakleigh, Vic., 1993. Details
- Cornish, Jennie, 'Melbourne Orphanage Reunion: 'priceless'', in OzChild website, OzChild, 2007, http://www.ozchild.org.au/ozchild/about-ozchild/careleavers/21. Details
- Jaggs, Donella, 'Oz Child', in eMelbourne: the city past and present, Encyclopedia of Melbourne online, The University of Melbourne, 2008, http://www.emelbourne.net.au/biogs/EM01104b.htm. Details
- Murphy, Teresa, Institutional child abuse: Brighton's house of horrors, Bayside Review Local, 29 January 2013, http://www.baysidereviewlocal.com.au/story/1265109/institutional-child-abuse-brightons-house-of-horrors/?cs=1221. Details
- Timeline of History for OzChild, Mallee Family Care, Upper Murray Family Care and Windermere
- c. 2001
Sources used to compile this entry: Jaggs, Donella, 'Oz Child', in eMelbourne: the city past and present, Encyclopedia of Melbourne online, The University of Melbourne, 2008, http://www.emelbourne.net.au/biogs/EM01104b.htm.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 17 July 2009, Last modified: 11 March 2013