1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Publications Details Book
- Nyungar Tradition : glimpses of Aborigines of south-western Australia 1829-1914
- Secondary Title
- Online version published by the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies in 2007
- University of Western Australia Press, 1983
Lois Tilbrook's important work, Nyungar Tradition : glimpses of Aborigines of south-western Australia 1829-1914 which is now out of print has been published by the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS) as an electronic book.
In their introduction to the site, AIATSIS says:
Nyungar Tradition by Lois Tilbrook is based on the South West Aboriginal Studies project (SWAS) - in which photographs have been assembled, not only from mission and government sources but also, importantly in Part ll, from the families. Though some of these are studio shots, many are amateur snapshots. The main purpose of the project was to link the photographs to the genealogical trees of several families in the area, including but not limited to Hansen, Adams, Garlett, Bennell and McGuire, enhancing their value as visual documents.
The AIATSIS Library acknowledges there are varying opinions on the information in this book.
Please click on this link to read
Nyungar Tradition now. Please note that this is a very large file (around 8MB).
- Royal Commission to Investigate, Report and Advise upon Matters in Relation to the Condition and Treatment of Aborigines 1935, State of Western Australia (1934? - 1935)
- Guardian of Aborigines, Crown Colony of Western Australia (1849 - 1857)
- Guardian of Aborigines and Protector of Settlers, Crown Colony of Western Australia (1857 - 1887)
- Stolen Generations
- Superintendent of Natives, Crown Colony of Western Australia (1832 - 1838)
- Aboriginal girls protection, Crown Colony of Western Australia (1844)
- Aborigines Act 1889, Crown Colony of Western Australia
- Aborigines Act 1897, Colony of Western Australia
- Aborigines Act 1905, State of Western Australia
- Aborigines Act Amendment Act 1911, State of Western Australia
- Aborigines Protection Act 1886, State of Western Australia
- Industrial Schools Act 1874, Crown Colony Western Australia
- Aborigines Department, State of Western Australia (1898 - 1908)
- Aborigines' Inland Mission (1907 - 1909)
- Aborigines Protection Board, Crown Colony of Western Australia. (1887 - 1890)
- Department of Aborigines and Fisheries, State of Western Australia (1909 - 1920)
- Moore River Native Settlement (1918 - 1951)
- Salvation Army Girls' Home, Kalgoorlie (1904? - 1924?)
- St Joseph's School for Aboriginal Girls, New Norcia (1861 - )
- St Mary's Mission, New Norcia (1848 - 1974)
- Swan Native and Half Caste Mission (c. 1880 - 1920)
- Nyungar Tradition, by Lois Tilbrook
- 1829 - 1914
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies