1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Anglican Diocese of Perth (1856 - )
- Anglican, Care Provider and Church
The Anglican Diocese of Perth is part of the Western Australian Province of the Anglican Church of Australia, which also contains the North West and Bunbury Dioceses. The Diocese of Perth has been actively involved in out of home care, beginning with traditional institutional care from 1868 and moving on to to small group care and fostering in the late twentieth century. Its key agency, Anglicare, provides and coordinates non-institutional residential child care for young people and teenagers.
When it was established in 1868, the Perth Protestant Orphanage was governed by the Bishop, the Colonial Chaplain and City Churchwardens, along with six 'gentlemen' elected from the 'subscribers' (sponsors who had given not less than £2-2s to the cause. The Anglican Orphanages Committee was the body established by the Diocese to provide govern its out of home care activities. It seems that the Anglican Orphanages Committee grew naturally from the Protestant Orphanage Committee (possibly around 1907).
Provided 'care' at
- Peterkin, A. Roy, The Noisy Mansions : the story of Swanleigh 1868-1971, Perth Diocesan Trustees, Anglican Church of Australia, Midland, Western Australia, 1986. p.7. Details
- Anglican Diocese of Bunbury, Western Australia, Anglican Diocese of Bunbury, Western Australia, http://www.bunbury.org.au/About/About.html. Details
- Anglican Church of North West Australia, Anglican Church of North West Australia, http://www.anglicandnwa.org/. Details
- 'Church of England News', The Inquirer & Commercial News, 10 November 1875, p. 3, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article65963216. Details
- 'Minutes of Evidence Taken Before the Health Committee on 4 June 1998', in Health - Third Report, House of Commons Health Committee, Parliament of the United Kingdom, 4 June 1998, http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm199798/cmselect/cmhealth/755/8060401.htm. Details
- Family Issues [Anglican Church of Australia General Synod Resolution 51/04 The Forgotten Australians - Apology], Anglican Church of Australia, 2004, http://www.anglican.org.au/content/home/about/social_issues/Family_Issues.aspx. Details
- Anglicare WA [website], 2011, http://www.anglicarewa.org.au/. Details
- Information Services, Department for Community Development, Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, http://www.signposts.communitydevelopment.wa.gov.au/. Details
- Swan Native Mission evidence to the Roth royal commission
- Newspaper Article
- 25 February 1905
- National Library of Australia
- The Noisy Mansions : the story of Swanleigh 1868-1971
- Middle Swan, Western Australia
Sources used to compile this entry: Information Services, Department for Community Development, Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, http://www.signposts.communitydevelopment.wa.gov.au/; Peterkin, A. Roy, The Noisy Mansions : the story of Swanleigh 1868-1971, Perth Diocesan Trustees, Anglican Church of Australia, Midland, Western Australia, 1986. p.7..
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 19 February 2013