1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Catholic Church Residential Child Care Providers (c. 1850 - )
- c. 1850
- Care Provider, Catholic and Church Agency
A number of residential facilities were run by Catholic religious orders or social welfare service agencies. These religious orders included: the Benedictines, the Catholic Diocese of Broome; the Christian Brothers; the Sisters of Mercy; the Oblates of Mary Immaculate; the Pallottines or Society of the Catholic Apostolate; the Sisters of the Good Shepherd; the Sisters of St John of God; and the Sisters of Nazareth. Agencies included Centrecare; Djooraminda; and
MercyCare. In addition,the Schoenstatt Sisters were involved with the Wandering (St Xavier) Mission and the Sisters of St Joseph ran St Joseph's Preventorium, Kellerberrin.
- c. 1850 - c
- The Catholic Church Residential Child Care Providers serviced areas of Western Australia
- Gregory, Jenny and Jan Gothard [editors], Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia, University of Western Australia Press, Crawley, W.A., 2009. Details
- Hetherington, Penelope, Paupers, Poor Relief and Poor Housing in Western Australia 1829 to 1910, UWA Publishiing, Crawley, Western Australia, 2009. Details
- Weller, Helen [editor] with assistance from Roy Hamilton and John Harper, Sister Michael Kelly, vol. 2, Access Press, Northbridge, W.A., 1994. Details
- New Advent, The Catholic Encyclopedia, 2009. Also available at http://www.newadvent.org/cathen. Details
- Child Migrants Trust [website], 2011, http://www.childmigrantstrust.com. Details
- To Remove and Protect: Aboriginal Lives Under Control [website], 2010, http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/collections/exhibitions/remove/index.html. Details
- Bringing Them Home: The 'Stolen Children' Report (1997), 2011, http://www.hreoc.gov.au/social_justice/bth_report/index.html. Details
- Catholic Archdiocese of Perth [website], http://www.perthcatholic.org.au. Details
- Commonwealth of Australia, Bringing Them Home: National Inquiry into the Separation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children from Their Families, 1997, http://www.hreoc.gov.au/pdf/social_justice/bringing_them_home_report.pdf. Details
- Information Services, Department for Community Development, Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, http://www.signposts.communitydevelopment.wa.gov.au/. Details
Sources used to compile this entry: Hetherington, Penelope, Paupers, Poor Relief and Poor Housing in Western Australia 1829 to 1910, UWA Publishiing, Crawley, Western Australia, 2009; Information Services, Department for Community Development, Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, http://www.signposts.communitydevelopment.wa.gov.au/.
Prepared by: Leanne Howard
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 27 October 2011