1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Forrest River Mission (1913 - 1968)
- Anglican, Care Provider, Mission and Stolen Generations
- Alternative Names
Please note that this page reproduces the original language used in the historical sources drawn upon to compile this entry. This language includes offensive and derogatory terms which are today considered unacceptable. We apologise for any offence caused by such language.
[Taken from the Western Australian guide Signposts:]
The Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies website shows Forrest River's governing agencies as the Church of England (or Anglican Church) and the Australian Board of Mission.The Anglican Church has its own entry in Signposts, and this should be consulted as it gives more information about the approach taken.
According to the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies website, the State Records Office in Western Australia 'holds extensive records relating to missions.
Departmental records for children placed by the Department of Native Welfare exist and can be accessed via the Department for Child Protection and Family Support and Family Support.
Additionally, the Department for Child Protection and Family Support and Family Support's Aboriginal Index and the guide, 'Looking West', should be consulted for information.
While access to records is restricted to protect the privacy of individuals, people are encouraged to enquire.
Freedom of Information
Department for Child Protection and Family Support and Family Support
PO Box 6334, East Perth WA 6892
Telephone: (08) 6217 6388 or (08) 6217 6381
Facsimile: (08) 9222 2776
Free call in WA: 1800 000 277
For general information relating to missions:
State Records Office, Alexander Library Building
James St West Entrance
Perth WA 6000.
Search Centre: GroundFloor Mon-Fri:9.30am-4.30pm
TelePhone: (08) 9427 3600
Facsimile: (08) 9427 3368
- 1913 - 1968
- Forrest River Mission was located near Wyndham, in the Kimberley. Location: Forrest River
- To Remove and Protect: Aboriginal Lives Under Control [website], 2010, http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/collections/exhibitions/remove/index.html. Details
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies [website], http://aiatsis.gov.au/. Details
- Information Services, Department for Community Development, Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, http://www.signposts.communitydevelopment.wa.gov.au/. Details
- State Records Taskforce, Government of Western Australia, Looking West: A Guide to Aboriginal Sources in Western Australia [website], Government of Western Australia, 2004, http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/42687/20040616-0000/www.lookingwest.communitydevelopment.wa.gov.au/index.html. Details
- Sunday Island Mission evidence to Roth royal commission
- Newspaper Article
- 25 February 1905
- National Library of Australia
- Hadley had previously worked at the Forrest River Mission
Sources used to compile this entry: Information Services, Department for Community Development, Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, http://www.signposts.communitydevelopment.wa.gov.au/.
Prepared by: Anna Trengove and Leanne Howard
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 27 August 2012