1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Mogumber (1951 - 1974)
- Care Provider, Farm School, Methodist, Mission, School and Stolen Generations
- Alternative Names
- Mogumber Methodist Training Centre (also known as)
- Moore River the Mogumber Mission (also known as)
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander readers are warned that this website may contain images and names of people who have passed away.
Please note that this page reproduces the original language used in the historical sources drawn upon to compile this entry. This language includes offensive and derogatory terms which are today considered unacceptable. We apologise for any offence caused by such language.
Mogumber opened in 1951 on on the site of the Moore River Settlement. It was run by the Methodist Overseas Mission as residential child care facility forchildren from Indigenous backgrounds, both boys and girls. An Agricultural College was also on site for some years during Mogumber's operations. Children were sent to Mogumber by the child welfare authorities, their parents or the children's courts. In the 1970s, some children were moved from Mogumber to houses in Perth. Mogumber closed in 1974 and the land was transferred to the Aboriginal Lands Trust of WA.
There are five main places where records about Mogumber might be found. The Uniting Church Archives, the Department for Indigenous Affairs, the Department for Child Protection, and the State Records Office of WA may have records about people who lived at Mogumber as children. The State Records Office and the State Library also hold general historical information.
While access to records is restricted to protect the privacy of individuals, you are encouraged to enquire.
Synod of Western Australia, UCA Archives Research Centre,
91 Edward Street, Perth WA 6000
GPO Box M952, Perth WA 6843
Phone: (08) 9227 6427 (please leave a message and we will return your call)
Fax: (08) 9227 6416
Government personal records
Aboriginal History Research Unit
Department of Indigenous Affairs
PO Box 3153 East Perth WA 6892
Phone: 1300 651 077
Fax: (08) 6551 8008
Web:Personal and Family History Applicants
Freedom of Information
Department for Child Protection
PO Box 6334, East Perth WA 6892
Phone: (08) 6217 6388 or (08) 6217 6381
Fax: (08) 9222 2776
Free call in WA: 1800 000 277
Government records and general historical information
State Records Office
Alexander Library Building
Perth Cultural Centre
Perth WA 6000
Phone: (08) 9427 3600
State Library of Western Australia
25 Francis Street
Perth Cultural Centre
Perth WA 6000
Phone: (08) 9427 3111
Fax: (08) 9427 3256
- The Methodist Overseas Mission took over the Moore River Settlement to use as a Children's Home and agricultural farm school for Aboriginal children and young people . Location: Mogumber
- Mogumber was transferred to the Aboriginal Lands Trust of Western Australia. Location: Mogumber
1918 - 1951 Moore River Native Settlement
1951 - 1974 Mogumber
- Green, Neville, 'Missions', in Gregory, Jenny and Jan Gothard [editors] (eds), Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia, University of Western Australia Press, Crawley, W.A., 2009. Details
- 'Children at Mogumber Methodist Mission', The West Australian, 23 April 1952, p. 6. Also available at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article49027983. Details
- Western Australia. Department for Community Welfare, Annual Report: Department for Community Welfare, Dept. For Community Welfare, [Perth], 1973-1984. Details
- Wilson, Katrin and Michael V. Robinson., Aboriginal Hostels in Perth : A Comparative Survey, Department of Native Welfare, [Perth, W.A.], 1971. Details
- To Remove and Protect: Aboriginal Lives Under Control [website], 2010, http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/collections/exhibitions/remove/index.html. Details
- Bringing Them Home: The 'Stolen Children' Report (1997), 2011, http://www.hreoc.gov.au/social_justice/bth_report/index.html. Details
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies [website], http://aiatsis.gov.au/. Details
- Information Services, Department for Community Development, 'Mogumber', Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, http://www.signposts.communitydevelopment.wa.gov.au/. Details
- State Solicitor's Office of Western Australia, 'p.87', Guide to Institutions Attended by Aboriginal People in Western Australia, Government of Western Australia, 2005, http://www.nativetitle.wa.gov.au/MediaPublications/documents/Institutions%281%29.pdf. Details
- Chapel at Mogumber Methodist Mission [picture]
- McKeich, Robert
- State Library of Western Australia
- The 'Homes' Herald, 1978 [Methodist Homes for Children]
- December 1978
- Vol 2 No 24
- Uniting Church (Synod of Western Australia) Archives
Sources used to compile this entry: Chapel at Mogumber Methodist Mission [picture] [Image], Date: 1964 Creator: McKeich, Robert; Green, Neville, 'Missions', in Gregory, Jenny and Jan Gothard [editors] (eds), Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia, University of Western Australia Press, Crawley, W.A., 2009; Information Services, Department for Community Development, 'Mogumber', Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, http://www.signposts.communitydevelopment.wa.gov.au/; State Solicitor's Office of Western Australia, 'p.87', Guide to Institutions Attended by Aboriginal People in Western Australia, Government of Western Australia, 2005, http://www.nativetitle.wa.gov.au/MediaPublications/documents/Institutions%281%29.pdf.
Prepared by: Anna Trengove, Leanne Howard and Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 5 March 2013