1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Look for Similar
Other Find & Connect resources
Legislation Aborigines Act 1897
Colony of Western Australia
[Taken from the To Remove and Protect website:]
The Aborigines Act 1897, abolished the Aborigines Protection Board and the powers and duties of existing protectors of Aborigines. The Act created the WA Aborigines Department with similar duties to the former Board as well as to provide for the custody, maintenance and education of the children of Aborigines. The Department was given an annual budget of five thousand pounds sterling instead of one percent of the annual government revenue as specified in the 1889 WA Constitution. (One percent was a much larger amount after the discovery of gold boosted government revenue. As this provision was inconsistent with the WA Constitution, an Act of the British Parliament, the Act was actually invalid. The invalidity was realised in 1904 and retrospectively validated in the Aborigines Act 1905.) The Aborigines Act 1897 was repealed by the Aborigines Act 1905.
1897 Aborigines Act 1897
1905 Aborigines Act 1905
1963 Native Welfare Act 1963
1972 Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority Act 1972
- Aborigines Act 1897 (WA), 1897. Also available at http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/collections/exhibitions/remove/wa/legislation.html. Details
- 'Aboriginal Records', in Archive Collection of Western Australia, State Records Office of Western Australia, 2012, http://www.sro.wa.gov.au/collection/aboriginal-records. Details
- 'Aborigines Department , State of Western Australia (1898-1908) Agency Detail (State Records Office)', in Archive Collection of Western Australia, State Records Office of Western Australia, 2012, http://aeon.sro.wa.gov.au/Investigator/Details/Agency_Detail.asp?Id=67. Details
- To Remove and Protect: Aboriginal Lives Under Control [website], 2010, http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/collections/exhibitions/remove/index.html. Details
- AustLII [website], 2011, http://www.austlii.edu.au. Details
- Tilbrook, Lois, Nyungar Tradition : glimpses of Aborigines of south-western Australia 1829-1914, Online version published by the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies in 2007, University of Western Australia Press, 1983, http://archive.aiatsis.gov.au/terms5.html?http://archive.aiatsis.gov.au/m0022954.pdf. Details
- State Law Publisher: Official Publisher of Western Australian Legislation and Statutory Information, 1997, http://www.slp.wa.gov.au. Details
- Aborigines Act 1897 (WA)
Prepared by: Leanne Howard
Created: 28 June 2011, Last modified: 8 March 2012