1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Look for Similar
Other Find & Connect resources
Glossary Term Chief Protector of Aborigines (1) (1897 - 1901)
Colony of Western Australia
- Stolen Generations
Chief Protector of Aborigines was one of the names given to the official who was responsible for the 'protection' of the Aboriginal population. These officials were key figures in the removal of Aboriginal children from their families, which we now know as the stolen generations.
- April 1898 - 1901
- Henry Prinsep served as Chief Protector of Aborigines.
1832 - 1838 Superintendent of Natives
1839 - 1849 Protector of Aborigines (statutory role)
1849 - 1857 Guardian of Aborigines
1857 - 1887 Guardian of Aborigines and Protector of Settlers
1887 - 1890 Aborigines Protection Board
1890 - 1897 Aborigines Protection Board
1897 - 1901 Chief Protector of Aborigines (1)
1901 - 1936 Chief Protector of Aborigines (2)
1936 - 1954 Commissioner for Native Affairs
1954 - 1972 Commissioner for Native Welfare
- van den Berg, Rosemary, 'Aboriginal protectors', in Gregory, Jenny and Jan Gothard [editors] (eds), Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia, University of Western Australia Press, Crawley, W.A., 2009, pp. Pages 36-37. Details
- 'Aborigines Department , State of Western Australia (1898-1908) Agency Detail (State Records Office)', in Archive Collection of Western Australia, State Records Office of Western Australia, 2012, http://aeon.sro.wa.gov.au/Investigator/Details/Agency_Detail.asp?Id=67. Details
- 'Prinsep, Henry Charles (1844-1922)', in Trove, National Library of Australia, 2012, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-643395. Details
- State Records Office of Western Australia, of Western Australia, 'An Index to the Chief Protector of Aborigines Files, 1898 -1908', 1998, http://www.sro.wa.gov.au/aboriginal-records/index-chief-protector-aborigines-files-1898-1908. Details
Sources used to compile this entry: van den Berg, Rosemary, 'Aboriginal protectors', in Gregory, Jenny and Jan Gothard [editors] (eds), Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia, University of Western Australia Press, Crawley, W.A., 2009, pp. Pages 36-37.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 6 January 2012, Last modified: 27 February 2012