1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Biographical entry Gale, Charles Frederick (1860 - 1928)
- 26 November 1860
Geraldton, Western Australia, Australia
- 24 September 1928
Armadale, Western Australia, Australia
- Public Servant and Stolen Generations
Charles Frederick Gale, second Chief Protector of Aborigines in WA, was born on 26 November 1860 at Geraldton. He came to this position because of an amalgamation between the Fisheries and Aborigines departments.
Notwithstanding his 'retrenchment' from the role in 1915 and the subsequent inquiry into those events, Gale remained active in civic life in Western Australia. Childless and survived by his wife, he died of pneumonia, in the Armadale hospital on 24 September 1928.
- 1908 - March 1915
- Chief Protector of Aborigines, State of Western Australia
- Parliament of Western Australia, Report of the Select Committee of the Legislative Council on the Retirement of Mr. C. F. Gale from the position of Chief Protector of Aborigines, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, 12 October 1915. Also available at http://archive.aiatsis.gov.au/removeprotect/73647.pdf. Details
- 'Aboriginal Records', in Archive Collection of Western Australia, State Records Office of Western Australia, 2012, http://www.sro.wa.gov.au/collection/aboriginal-records. Details
- 'Aborigines Department , State of Western Australia (1898-1908) Agency Detail (State Records Office)', in Archive Collection of Western Australia, State Records Office of Western Australia, 2012, http://aeon.sro.wa.gov.au/Investigator/Details/Agency_Detail.asp?Id=67. Details
- 'Gale, Charles Frederick (1860-1928)', in Trove, National Library of Australia, 2012, http://trove.nla.gov.au/people/1463855?q=Charles+Gale+protector&c=people. Details
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, 'Western Australia Protectors Reports', National Library of Australia, 1899-1959, http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/collections/exhibitions/remove/wa/protrepo.html. Details
- Manne, Robert, 'The Stolen Generations: A Documentary Collection', The Monthly, Online document only, 3 September 2006, http://www.themonthly.com.au/files/stolen.pdf. Details
- State Records Office of Western Australia, of Western Australia, 'An Index to the Chief Protector of Aborigines Files, 1898 -1908', 1998, http://www.sro.wa.gov.au/aboriginal-records/index-chief-protector-aborigines-files-1898-1908. Details
- Williams, J.G., 'Gale, Charles Frederick (1860-1928)', in Australian Dictionary of Biography Online [website], Australian National University and Melbourne University Press, 2006, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gale-charles-frederick-6268. Details
- Chief Protector Gale's Letter to Chief of Police:Removal of Aboriginal Children 1909
- Western Australia
- The Monthly
Sources used to compile this entry: Williams, J.G., 'Gale, Charles Frederick (1860-1928)', in Australian Dictionary of Biography Online [website], Australian National University and Melbourne University Press, 2006, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gale-charles-frederick-6268.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 7 January 2012, Last modified: 6 March 2012